Grand Central’s Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Statement
At Grand Central we take our ESG responsibilities seriously. We create sustainable workplaces developing practical and technological solutions to reduce our carbon footprint and encourage and maintain best practices in diversity, equality, and charitable contributions to good causes. This is overseen by good governance and practical and thoughtful ESG policies which guide the business.
Grand Central takes its environmental responsibilities seriously and has implemented the following:
- Green Cleaning Products – We understand environmental activists have enough to do so where possible we use green and environmentally friendly cleaning products, and recyclable packets to top up reusable containers.
- No single use plastic water bottle – Rather than encouraging plastic production at Grand Central we provide filtered water so that members can bring their own bottles and refill.
- Print software that cuts down on paper usage – Our print management software is configured to use as little paper as possible. Paper wastage is reduced by 10-50%* Go trees!
- Effortless office recycling – We like making recycling easy for everyone so we have separate recycling bins throughout the building.
Energy and Resource Optimisation
At Grand Central, we love saving electricity, heat, and overheads generally. So, we have installed the following equipment and enacted policies to manage resources effectively:
- Timers – These govern air conditioner use in communal areas; no point regulating temperatures when nobody is around.
- Window technology – We use UV reflective glazing to reduce air conditioner usage.
- Lighting – Grand Central has installed LED light bulbs throughout the buildings to save power.
- Bathrooms – We use motion activated light switches and taps to save power and water. Electric hand dryers equals no paper towel wastage.
- Air con – We implement a maintenance programme to ensure the operational efficiency of the AC units.
- Saving energy through socialising – By members sharing meeting rooms, kitchens, and lounges we reduce energy wastage, as we have fewer rooms to light and heat.
Health and Wellbeing
Grand Central takes health and wellbeing very seriously and has implemented a range of measures and work options to keep members physically and mentally healthy and to reduce their carbon footprints.
- Plants and herbs – Grand Central has put live plants throughout the building and has a roof top herb garden. A bit of greenery goes a long way!
- Massages – Free monthly massages are available to members which is a great way to de-stress.
- Electric stand-up and cycling desks – Good to avoid lumbar issues and to keep healthy as you work.
- Cycling security – Bicycle locking points are installed to encourage commuting on two wheels.
- Keep fit! – We provide excellent shower facilities to keep members fresh and ready to do business, even after a lunchtime swim or run.
- Cleanliness – Hand sanitising stations are available throughout Grand Central premises.
Diversity and Equality
The very nature of providing a safe space for remote working promotes gender equality according to Coworking Statistics.** In 2019, coworking was an equal 50/50 split between men and women.
We take the same positive proactive attitude to recruitment.
- We donate old equipment to food banks and freecycle groups to help those that need it.
- We make monthly charitable donations to Save the Children and Water Aid.
- We make members’ data about room usage and printer usage available so they can manage their own ESG responsibilities more effectively.
- We make our meeting rooms available to some local organisations for free.
As part of our governance policies, we are fully transparent when publishing pricing and other aspects of the business clearly and consistently.